The Episcopal church of Buen Pastor is located in South Quito. Work in this community began 29 years ago. There have been many people who have served in pastoral roles within the community and who have impacted the lives of the people in the community. Until about eight years ago, the church struggled with attrition from its membership. At that time the church changed their mission to be family to the community. This included not only the church services, but more programs within the community such as care for the elderly, breakfasts, teaching, literacy, etc.
The neighborhood has a unique population of people in particularly vulnerable situations. There are a high number of people involved with drugs, dysfunctional families, young people living without their parents.
The Vision of Buen Pastor is to reach out to families who do not have a spiritual home in an intentional and personal way as Jesus Did. “The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.” John 1:14
We exist so that in all that we do people can experience Jesus directly.
Education Equals Hope in Buen Pastor (2014-2015):
- 53 students received scholarships at this site.
- 53 Students (100%) passed the 2014-2015 school year
- 19 students took supplementary classes in order to pass the school year
- Of those who took supplementary classes
- 7 live with both parents
- 8 live with one parent
- 3 live with neither parent
- 1 it is unknown who they live with
Education Equals Hope in Buen Pastor (2015-2016):
- 61 Students are receiving scholarships at this site
- The average scholarship amount at this site is $20.00/student
- 30 students live with both parents
- 23 students live with only their mother
- 1 student lives with only their father
- 5 students live with a grandparent
- 2 students it is unknown with whom they live
- 43 Families are represented by the students