The area of Guamote, a community of about 50,000 people, is located in the southern part of the Chimborazo province, about 30 miles from Riobamba. 96% of the population of Guamote lives in extreme poverty. The biggest problems affecting the indigenous population of Guamote are poverty, illiteracy, migration, racism, political and organizational disintegration, and lack of basic services.
The indigenous ministry of Chimborazo has a long history. The indigenous population created spaces and churches where they could follow Jesus Christ without renouncing their Catholic roots. The indigenous can continue exercising their faith without leaving their families or giving up their indigenous cultural roots, all while maintaining the ideals at the foundation of the indigenous church. The community trusts that the development of the indigenous church in service to our King is part of the process to reclaim the indigenous communities in Ecuador and Latin America.
The vision of the Riobamba site is to promote the development of Christ’s church with the heart and face of the indigenous people. They want to remain faithful to evangelical ideas and the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, listening to the work of our ancestors, as well as the prophets and martyrs who are working in service to God. The mission is to strengthen both the lives and church of the indigenous people, as well as their active participation in the work of God. This site wants to empower the ministry of the church to act. They want to walk in the footsteps of God by responding to social, political, cultural, economic and religious issues from both the indigenous communities and other cultures.
Education Equals Hope at Riobamba (2014-2015):
- 23 students received scholarship at this site
- 23 students (100%) passed the 2014-2015 school year
- 9 girls and 14 boys receive scholarship
- The scholarship amount for each student at this site is $15.00 per month.
- None of them needed supplemental classes to pass.
- 7 students graduated this year
- All graduating students live with both parents
Education Equals Hope at Riobamba (2015-2016):
- 23 students are receiving scholarship at this site
- The average scholarship amount per student is $15.00/month
- The average family has between 4 and 5 children
- 4 new students are receiving scholarship at this site
- 19 students live with both parents
- 3 students live with only their mother
- 1 student lives with neither parent