Greetings Dear Friends of St. Jean Baptiste School
Welcome to the 2020 – 2021 Edition of the St. Jean Baptiste
GIFTS OF HOPE CATALOG!
WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF GIFTS OF HOPE?
- GIFTS OF HOPE give you meaningful GIFTS to select for the people in your life who have everything or don’t want any more stuff. There is a GIFT for everyone ~ nieces, nephews, and grandchildren to teachers, relatives, neighbors, and, yes, the person who has everything! Young people are especially delighted to have a goat given to a student in his or her honor.
- Selecting GIFTS OF HOPE for people in your life is a way to honor the recipient and bless the students at St. Jean Baptiste School with meals and an excellent education. We pray that you – the donor – are blessed as you bless others.
- The GIFTS OF HOPE CATALOG is filled with LIFE-GIVING GIFTS that make a lasting and hope-filled difference in the future of the St. Jean Baptiste School children in this extremely impoverished rural area. The many students at St. Jean Baptiste School and their families are blessed daily by your generosity.
HOW DO I ORDER GIFTS OF HOPE?
- GIFTS OF HOPE and the suggested donation amounts are listed on the ORDER FORM along with how to donate and request GIFT CARDS to send to people you are honoring with your GIFTS.
- TWELVE MONTHS A YEAR: GIFTS OF HOPE are available to ‘give’ this Christmas season and throughout the year for special occasions, a thank you, thinking of you, or ‘just because’.
Merci Beaucoup! The Haiti Partnership team, along with the St. Jean Baptiste students and families, are grateful for your generous support that provides quality education in the countryside and a meal each school day. These practical LIFE-GIVING GIFTS show students that they are loved and give them Hope for a brighter future.
QUESTIONS? CONTACT SUSAN MEEDER
913.486.6880 ▪ HaitiHC2@gmail.com
LIFE-GIVING GIFTS OF HOPE
A MEAL FOR EVERY STUDENT EACH DAY!
Since October 2008, students and staff have received a meal – almost always rice and beans – each school day! With the addition of a grade level each year beginning in 2013, the number of students being fed has almost doubled – increasing from 275 students in 9 classes (Preschool 3-year-olds to Primary 6) to a total of 500 students in 16 classes Preschool through Philo, the highest secondary grade which was added in September 2019! While this partnership focuses on providing a quality education to the 9 Preschool and Primary classes, a mid-day meal is essential for all students if they are to focus and retain the lessons.
YOUR GIFT TO PROVIDE LUNCH FOR STUDENTS IS A GIFT OF HOPE
FOR A SUCCESSFUL LEARNING EXPERIENCE. HELP THIS ESSENTIAL
FEEDING MINISTRY CONTINUE FOR ALL 500 STUDENTS.
YOUR GIFT FOR TEACHERS’ SALARIES IS A GIFT OF HOPE THAT EXCELLENT TEACHERS WILL CONTINUE TO COME TO ST. JEAN BAPTISTE TO EDUCATE AND INSPIRE THE NEXT GENERATION.
SALARIES FOR EXCELLENT TEACHERS
St. Jean Baptiste is blessed to have qualified teachers in this rural setting. Most live close to the city of Les Cayes and ride a bike – motor or pedal – to travel the 4 to 5 miles to the school. These dedicated teachers pour their hearts into helping these young people be successful in their studies plus develop leadership skills.
We can’t emphasize enough how rare it is to have a quality primary school in the countryside and almost non-existent to have a secondary school in a rural area!
GOATS FOR STUDENTS – RELIABLE FOOD AND INCOME
Not only do goats provides a sustainable source of food, they also produce income. In many ways, owning goats in Haiti is like having a savings account.
SJBS orphans in grades 3 to 6 are the first to receive goats. Recipients give their first female kid back to the program so it can be given to another student. As the size of a student’s herd increases, the family can sell a goat to pay for essentials and even school fees. The program also expands through the purchase of additional goats. The community is strengthened as more families have reliable food and income.
YOUR GIFT OF GOATS IS A GIFT OF HOPE FOR STUDENTS AND THEIR FAMILIES TO HAVE A RELIABLE SOURCE OF FOOD AND INCOME.
* * * WHERE NEEDED MOST * * *
This category gives Susan and Patti, along with our Haitian partners,
the flexibility to direct donations to meet the greatest needs of
the GIFTS OF HOPE items or other essential needs.